My photo
I am a mother of four, I have 3 boys and 1 girl. Our 2 younger boys struggle with a speech delay that we are working on. With that being said, things can get a bit chaotic around here and frustration levels rise. Living and learning with these boys and the speech delays has taught me patience and a whole new understanding that people see things in so many different ways. I am a stronger person because of this and feel blessed to have these little angels. I am married to a fabulous man and am living a happy life!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Award Winner!!!

Austin received 2 awards at school.  His first one was for Social Studies, this is his favorite subject.  He is always wanting to learn more and more.  He also seems to retain everything he learns in this subject.  He is always teaching me stuff that I never knew.  He really enjoyed learning about the Revolutionary War and that was one of the reasons that he was chosen for this award.  His teacher said that he showed more interest than anybody else in the class and his Revolutionary War project was the best in the class.  His second award was for reading.  Austin loves to read!  He is the top reader in the 5th grade and one of the top readers of the entire school.  The students are given awards for each level of reading that they do.    He is a Classic III level, he needs to do a few more levels in classic and then he will be in Honors.
The levels are:
Independent Reader
Super Reader I, II, & III
Advanced Reader I, II, & III
Star Reader I, II, & III
Classic Reader I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
Honors
To achieve these levels you have to read a certain # of books at different levels of difficulty.  He is reading 7th and 8th grade level books.  I am so proud of him with his reading.  It amazes me because when he was in the 1st grade he really struggled with reading.  In fact, he was pulled from his regular class everyday to attend a reading class to help him.  Well I must say it REALLY helped him.  He gets caught up in reading so much that there are times when we find him up super late in his room reading with a flashlight after his bedtime.  Sure makes it hard to get mad at him for being up passed his bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate.... We had to take all of Alex's books out of his room for this very reason. He gets to pick a few small ones, or one longer one and then it's off to bed...

    ReplyDelete